• Přejít na obsah

    How to start a company in Poland?

    January 28, 2021

    In this article we are going to show you how to start a company in Poland. Learn how smooth and easy it is. First, you need to think about some aspects before filling out an application for setting up a business:

    Name and place of a company

    Before filling out all of the documents, you need to know how your company is going to be called and where its main office will be set

    You don’t have a place in Poland where you could register your company seat? Rent an address in our office! Contact us, and we will take care of your future success.

    Date of business opening

    Business opening date falls on the day of submitting an entry application to CEDIG. You can also set later date or even operate unregistered business. Note – you have to register your company if at some point your income will exceed 50% of minimum monthly wage.

    Form of taxation of a company

    Every business subject to taxation of income tax. There are 4 forms of taxation,  depending on type of business:

    1. general rules – taxation is like on tenure (17%/32%)
    2. flat rate tax 19%
    3. lump sum tax
    4. tax card

    Choosing form of taxation is crucial. It has influence on tax rate that is going to be discharged to tax office as well as on type and range of keeping the accounting records.

    Determining type of provided services

    There is a list of services that can be provided by entrepreneur called Polska Klasyfikacja Działalności. PKD codes can be found on www.pkd.com.pl. There is no limit when it comes to adding codes, so feel free to add some of them that are similar.

    Indication of bookkeeper

    In CEIDG form you need to indicate who is going to take care of financial records of business.

    Actually, there are two options to pick: traditional accounting office or online accounting. The second option is better when there are many invoices because fee is stable, no matter how many documents are there. This portal is a program for invoicing, running warehouse and many other things. It also creates records, tax declarations (including JPK) and sends them to tax offices via internet.

    If our project is more extensive, we recommend a traditional accounting office.

    If, when filling in the application, you do not have an accounting office selected yet, you can choose to conduct documentation yourself. Later, the entry can be updated by providing the data of an accounting office.

    ZUS contributions

    For someone who has just started his own business and doesn’t really have income yet, full ZUS contribution might be a  huge amount. That’s why there are some credits. They make contributions smaller at the beginning of business. The most important ones are “ulga na start” and “mały ZUS”.

    You need to submit  one of two basic documents to ZUS:

     ZZA – registering only for health insurance contribution:

    • if you want to use “ulga na start” or
    • if you are also employed under a contract of employment with salary higher than national minimum wage

     ZUA – registering for all contributions:

    • other situations
    • registering for “mały ZUS”

    You have to fill those documents and attaching them to CEIDG. ZUA documents can be delivered to ZUS no later than 7 days after starting up business.

    Tax office – if you want to be a VAT payer

    In CEIDG form you have to choose taxation form and type of accounting records. You need to decide whether you want to be a VAT payer or not. In case of the first option, you need to submit a VAT-R document. VAT is an added value tax – it charges customer and a company transfers money on ta office’s account.

    Bank account

    Consider getting a separated bank account if you are running your own business. It’s not obligatory if you are not going to be added value tax payer.

    To open bank account you will need and ID as well as entry to business activity register – print out from CEIDG.

    After getting business bank account you have to inform ZUS and tax office by filling out CEIDG update form.

    After all these steps you can finally start filling our CEDG-1 form. You can find it on firma.gov.pl (entry to “Centralna Ewidencja Informacji o Działalności Gospodarczej“, tab – “złóż wniosek CEIDG“).

    Following informations are required:

    • Full name, parents’ names, date and a place of residence
    • ID series and number
    • PESEL number
    • citizenship/s
    • NIP and REGON numbers
    • Information about KRUS/ZUS or abroad insurances
    • tax office data

    If you have NIP (Tax Identity Number) number, it becomes your business number. However, if you do not , it will be assigned by Ministry during execution of our business request. You can find this number by using entrepreneurs search engine.

     There are 3 ways of filling out and signing up application:

    • electronic signature
    • printing out and handwritten signature
    • signature through Profil Zaufany

    As you can see, starting up your own business is not as hard as it may sound.

    Do you need help with starting your own business in Poland? Maybe you are searching for someone who could take care of accounting or payroll? Write an email to us – we know it like no one else does, as we serve almost 100 companies: office.warsaw@vgd.eu.

    Autor: Monika Szczepaniak

    Back to all news

    Signatory of the Diversity Charter

    We respect the diversity among employees. We want our voice to be heard and thus spread awareness of changes that should be introduced in companies. We are not interested in you: gender, age, disability, sexual orientation and other premises that may risk discriminatory behavior.


    We are experts in:

    - transportation,
    - construction industry,
    - food industry,
    - IT,
    - logistics,
    - and more.

    Silver Winner BBC Award 2020

    We’re excited to have been named ‘Silver Winner’ at the Belgian Business Chamber Award 2020 - an annual competition organized by the Belgian Business Chamber. We were appreciated for: sustainable development, corporate social responsibility and support for Belgian business in Poland.